-
June 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Model 19 upgrade
Just something: my (Dutch) configuration of the model 19 is also very successful in the USA.
[ame=http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=256750&postcount=14]Lansing Heritage Forums - View Single Post - Latest surround[/ame]
Woofers: Altec 416-8B
Drivers: 288C with a 8 ohms Aluminum diaphragm (part 23763)
Horns: Electro Voice HR60
Tweeters: (the big) ESS Heil air-motion transformer
Crossover: N1201-8a (base) with big North Creek coils + increase for the tweeters.
Speaker cables/interconnects: 'black cat' cables (special made in France.)
Now listening is quite an experience, for me, for Bob and also for my audio friend here in Holland (he owns the JBL K2 S9800),
and that is big fun too.
-
June 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade

Originally Posted by
AltecLansingFan
Just something: my (Dutch) configuration of the model 19 is also very successful in the USA.
Lansing Heritage Forums - View Single Post - Latest surround
Woofers: Altec 416-8B
Drivers: 288C with a 8 ohms Aluminum diaphragm (part 23763)
Horns: Electro Voice HR60
Tweeters: (the big) ESS Heil air-motion transformer
Crossover: N1201-8a (base) with big North Creek coils + increase for the tweeters.
Speaker cables/interconnects: 'black cat' cables (special made in France.)
Now listening is quite an experience, for me, for Bob and also for my audio friend here in Holland (he owns the JBL K2 S9800),
and that is big fun too.
Any photos...would love to see them.
-
June 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade
Looking good. Did you hand wind those crossovers?
-
June 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade

Originally Posted by
J Henry
Any photos...would love to see them.
At the moment I only have pictures of the prototype enclosure.
At the moment my son is drawing the definite new enclosure (JBL K2 type) in his AutoCAD program, I hope this autumn I have the time to build them. Until that time I must listen (with lots of pleasure) to the unpainted prototype enclosures.

The model 19 crossover is already done, first I used the Solen caps, but after reading some reviews about caps, I've decided to change them for the Obbligato Gold caps, and I have no spite of that, these caps are sounding very clear and a little more analog, very nice caps.
I only use the Solen caps in the LF circuit. The coils are from North Creek Music, and they are sounding remarkable good, much better as Mundorf. For the 2.7 mH I use the 10 AWG an the 12 AWG for the .77 mH, the small .3 mH coil is a Solen coil. I always use a bypass cap, I bypass every cap with a 0.01 Vishay MKP 1837, I can't without these little monsters.
-
June 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade

Originally Posted by
Leland
Looking good. Did you hand wind those crossovers?
Sorry I don't understand you, what do you mean with hand wind?
I build the crossovers from Jef Markwart website Jeff Markwart's Corner - Phase Corrected Crossovers
There I downloaded a scratch from the Vintage Altec Model 19 Crossover Schematic, I just ordered the parts, and build my crossovers.
-
June 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade
Fantastic stuff , I love to see other peoples' systems based around the lush midrange capabilities of the 288 / fabulous choice !
I believe I would like a pair of those horns for myself . 
>< cheers 
ps ; I believe "Leland" meant ; "did you personally wind the inductor coils by hand" ?
- But, you have already answered that question by stating that you purchased them from "North Creek Music" / ( many people don't know who they are , in my experience )
-
June 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade
Cool! The North Creek stuff is very nice. My buddy JB uses it and has given me some.
I'm also a big fan of the Obbligato caps, both the gold and the film/oil. Certainly one of my favs. I even bought a few of the old black plastic ones before they made the copper tubes. (they don't make the black ones any more, as the copper is so popular).
-
July 8th, 2009, 05:55 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade
Hi,
I have Model 19 components, including the big Heil AMT. I was wondering at what frequency you built the crossover point to the Heil? I had in mind a crossover of 8000 hz as a starting point.
I have an enclosure design to bring the 416B to a higher position. That project is getting closer to the top of my list, also. Any thoughts on a larger enclosure would be appreciated.
TIA,
Lance

Originally Posted by
AltecLansingFan
Sorry I don't understand you, what do you mean with hand wind?
I build the crossovers from Jef Markwart website
Jeff Markwart's Corner - Phase Corrected Crossovers
There I downloaded a scratch from the Vintage Altec Model 19 Crossover Schematic, I just ordered the parts, and build my crossovers.
-
July 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade

Originally Posted by
westend9
Hi,
I have Model 19 components, including the big Heil AMT. I was wondering at what frequency you built the crossover point to the Heil? I had in mind a crossover of 8000 hz as a starting point.
I have an enclosure design to bring the 416B to a higher position. That project is getting closer to the top of my list, also. Any thoughts on a larger enclosure would be appreciated.
TIA,
Lance
Hi, maybe 8000 Hz is a tiny little to low, I think 9.000 or 10.000 Hz should be better.
In built my setup with a crossover point of 9000 Hz., some other people copied my configuration, and they are very enthusiastic about the sound, and couldn't believe that this sound was coming out of the model 19's.
A model 19 in combination with the big Altec drivers is wonderful, and much better as the 1" drivers.
When you want to upgrade the crossover, don't forget the coils, especialy the 2.7 mH - 10 AWG and the .77 mH - 12 AWG North Creek Music coils are great in this configuration.
-
July 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Model 19 upgrade

Originally Posted by
Earl K
Fantastic stuff , I love to see other peoples' systems based around the lush midrange capabilities of the 288 / fabulous choice !
I believe I would like a pair of those horns for myself .
>< cheers
ps ; I believe "Leland" meant ; "did you personally wind the inductor coils by hand" ?
- But, you have already answered that question by stating that you purchased them from "North Creek Music" / ( many people don't know who they are , in my experience )
These EV HR60 horns, I bought them on ebay.de
In Germany you often can find them on ebay, with often I mean 4 or maybe 5 times a year.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks